Our local authority client is seeking an experienced accountant with understanding of the differences between private and public sector accounting to lead with a Leisure Transformation programme which will see ten leisure centres insourced and provide financial set up and support for Wiltshire Council Housing and Development trading companies. Support is required to ensure all financial, commercial and risk aspects of programmes are understood, and new procedures and processes are set up and aligned to the councils control environment. Management and financial accounting considerations need to be understood and managed successfully including all management reporting and consolidation aspects into the council’s accounts.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Take specific responsibility for the more complex (value and transactional) areas, for example linking expenditure and activity in areas such as Adult Social Care, Waste, Children’s Social Care, etc, to ensure finance and performance can be analysed and reported together.
• Through the development of close and supportive working relationships with relevant officers at all levels across the Council, identify the need for management information and accounting systems which will enable secure budget monitoring and control. Supervise the efficient production of monthly revenue/capital/schools/HRA (as appropriate) budget monitoring and outturn projections to the highest level of completeness and accuracy, within deadline, and ensuring that trends and reasons/alternatives where under/over spend are identified. Identify further analysis and follow up to support investigation of significant variances from budget via ad-hoc reports. Ensure profiles are realistic and reflect trends.
• To review and identify areas for development/ improvement of the Council’s financial system (SAP), in line with statutory and professional practices, and assist in the implementation of improvements. Feedback to Chief Accountant and Financial Systems Manager areas where data / processes could be improved to ensure efficiencies in the monitoring and setting of budgets as well as accounts closedown.
• Assist with the regular upkeep of the Council’s Financial Procedure Regulations and to ensure that they are being effectively applied / complied with. Ensuring the Service control environment over such areas as virements, reconciliations and journals is managed in accordance with Financial Regulations.
Criteria for the role:
• Professional Accountancy qualification (CCAB) with post qualification relevant experience /
• Significant experience of budgeting, statutory accounting and providing financial advice to nonfinance managers. including the following activities:
• Providing financial advice directly to senior non-finance officers, including Chief Officers.
• Managing finance staff undertaking budgeting, statutory accounting and financial
• Taking personal responsibility for budget development, budget monitoring and closing the
accounts for large public sector services.
• Experience of committee work for Members, contact with Members, and work for overview
and Scrutiny committees, or for similar groups involving elected Members.
• Significant Experience of /financial/ technical/accounting/Ledger maintenance
Please apply below