Electronic Design Manager (Engineering)
Our electronics products involve control and synchronisation of electric motors, interfacing with motion sensors/detectors, analogue amplifiers and general GPIO/sensor interfacing. You will lead a dedicated team of electronics specialists and embedded software engineers through all stages of a development cycle for new products as well as enhancements of existing product whilst keeping MRMC at the leading edge of world-class electronics deployment. In-house developed solutions cater from one-off, high value, complex motion platforms through to high-volume, cost sensitive application for mass markets where performance, reliability and costs are key development drivers.
The successful candidate will be hands-on spending approximately 60% of their time on design activities and 40% on management tasks and primarily leading an expanding team (currently 7 electronics / firmware engineers). You will have great communication skills and ably interface with the whole R&D team including software developers, mechanical engineering and product test specialists. In total R&D team consists of 35 professionals.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN DUTIES
- Provide effective leadership to the Electronics Team on the design and improvement of the electronic components of our robotic products, ensuring targets are met
- Manage the completion of electronic components of projects, liaising with other departments and managers e.g. software, production to ensure their successful integration into products
- Produce technically compliant electrical/electronic design solutions which entirely satisfy the design brief set
- Produce electrical/electronic designs that are robust, cost effective to produce and use materials and/or resources effectively
- Produce electrical/electronic designs that can be readily assembled, disassembled, serviced and/or updated
- Regularly update the R&D Manager on the progress of all activities in the electronic and mechanical department/team
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong team leading/people-management skills and experience
- Well-developed project management capabilities
- Experience in creating new process and best working practices
- Able to drive and shape the New Product Development cycle (NPD)
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Able to review and write clear product design documents which describe the complete product in detail
- Experience in the design of products for CE and global certification
- Electronic hardware design, cable design, schematic capture, PCB layout, BOM preparation, EMC compliance.
- Design of mixed signal low power, low voltage, low noise sensor circuitry
- Design of embedded digital control circuitry and real-time microcontroller solutions
- Design of stepper and servo motor control circuits
- Experience with industrial networking including Ethernet & EtherCAT
- Strong programming skills in C within small to medium size microprocessor systems (ARM STM32, TI MSP430).
- Experience working with TCP-IP, UDP, CAN, SPI, UART, I2C and USB communication protocols.
- Experience with sensor integration over I2C, SPI, etc
- Experience in VHDL and Intel/Altera FPGA design
- Proficient in the use of Jira and Bitbucket
- Working knowledge of Solidworks Electrical, Solidworks Electrical 3D and Solidworks Mechanical or equivalent packages.
- Enthusiasm for continuous learning
- BSc in Engineering/Electronics/Mathematics or equivalent is preferred
- MSc or equivalent further studies would be advantageous but not essential
- Fluent in English
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer the best engineering environment for creative and collaborative professionals to work in a welcoming team. Our R&D department consists of 3 sections: Mechanical, Electronics and Software. All our engineers work side by side to create unique, exceptional products that are used all over the world.
Our success is only possible because of the team effort from everyone and we recognise the individual input of each person throughout our design and manufacturing process at MRMC.
- competitive salary
- ample and secure parking
- training and development opportunities
If you think your career aspirations, skills and experience fit this role and our company, please apply by sending your most up to date CV to us. Our recruitment process is very straightforward and we respond quickly. MRMC will be delighted to hear from you.
Closing Date for Applications: 26th March 2019
Salary: £45,000-£55,000 per annum
Location: Blindley Heath, RH7 6JP