Head of Cost Management
Our client are an internationally recognised Construction Group who are looking to recruit a Head of Cost Management professional to be accountable for the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of delivery for all of their Design & Asset Management services offered to their clients.
The successful candidate will work with the Head of Building Surveying & Cost Management to grow the Cost Management business in size, capability and cross-market presence.
• Developing and delivering a cohesive and joined up service model providing the full range of cost management services to a broad cross section of clients.
• Embedding effective standardised procedures and discipline into all services that we deliver drawing on best cost management practices.
• Bringing together all cost managers across the employers Design & Asset Management business into a single team that has a common vision and approach to the provision of its services. In doing this promoting best practice through toolkits and methodologies advocated by the RICS and utilising QA and management structures such as Prince, MSP, APM and QMS.
• Lead and be active in a team focused on delivering excellence in cost management services, with particular emphasis on standardising data, toolkits, methodology and promoting innovation and best practice.
• Working with the Market Leads, establish the employer’s Design & Asset Management business as a recognised practitioner of high quality and innovative cost management services to the construction and property industry across the public and private sector marketplace.
• Developing a common, best practice approach to the provision of Cost Management services that complies with industry best practice and maximises efficiency and quality of delivery with a focus on creating a highly profitable business ensuring commercial success in the long-term..
• Achieving high levels of customer satisfaction, ensuring clients’ needs are understood and met by our cost management service. Promoting learning, CPD, feedback and active constructive review of on-going projects is seen as fundamental in this activity.
• Leading, motivating and inspiring a UK wide team of cost managers, spread across multiple sites and delivering into multiple accounts to ensure a market leading product/service portfolio at the right price.
• Working with the wider Design & Asset Management teams to identify new routes to market and effective costing models that meet client’s needs.
• Developing a culture of continuous improvement, improving employee morale and increasing employee satisfaction survey scores year on year.
• Ensuring strong relationships with key stakeholders within clients and key leaders across the employers business including direct management team, client facing Partnership and Sales Directors.
• Securing long-term placements of white collar professional cost managers to support clients in the short, medium and long term, with rates and margins that reflect the added value that we bring to them.
• Implementing appropriate and effective levels of governance in accordance with the employer requirements.
• Support Markets team in the development and securing of new and leveraged opportunities.
Qualifications & Key Skills:
We are looking for candidates with significant experience of leading teams on a range of commissions with a capex of £5m+.
Candidates should have:
• Degree in Quantity Surveying
• RICS Membership
• Extensive experience in the relevant field including leading large complex commissions and familiarity of the tools and requirements such as cost modelling, benchmarking (e.g. BCIS), ROL, lifecycle, estimating, detailed cost development, value engineering, comparisons of alternative materials and methods of construction, FM, cost profiling / planning, cost monitoring & reporting, financial statements such as cost reports.
• Use of various forms of contract such as NEC3 in particular and JCT in procurement, administration, change, dispute and review
• Excellent coaching and leadership skills, strong influencing skills (evidence of leading large teams in a matrix setting is ideal)
• Proven ability to plan, organise and control large and diverse teams, to delegate and empower effectively and to deliver increased performance, quality and utilisation
• Evidence of building relationships with Director level stakeholders from large blue chip or public sector organisations
• Experience of working within a service provider or vendor delivering services direct to a client base
• Highly commercially aware, with evidence of delivering profitable, cost effective and efficient services that meets client’s needs while also protecting the needs of your business
• Evidence of sharing best practice and knowledge within a complex organisation, and able to work effectively within a company that fosters continuous improvement
• Able to handle conflict and drive resolution
• Forward thinker with the ability to look at future technology advancements and trends and make recommendations that meet business needs