To be eligible to work in the UK there are certain documents you need in place to prove your eligibility. All employers are required to check your eligibility before they employ you.
These include but are not limited to:
- A passport showing you are a British citizen or a citizen of the UK and colonies having the right to abode in the UK / national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland.
- Alternatives to a passport include other documents proving you have permission to maintain permanent residence in the UK including but not limited to:
- A registration Certificate or Document Certifying Permanent Residence issued by the Home Office, to a national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland.
- A current Biometric Immigration Document (Biometric Residence Permit) issued by the home office to the holder indicating that the person named is allowed to stay indefinitely in the UK, or has no time limit on their stay in the UK.
- A current Immigration Status Document issued by the Home Office to the holder with an endorsement indicating that the named person is allowed to stay indefinitely in the UK, or has no time limit on their stay in the UK.
If you are unsure on whether you meet the requirements above, there is a simple yes or no questionnaire you can take by going visiting https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk